Crystal Carbone is an experienced leader who has been an invaluable resource on the school board helping make our students healthier, happier, and academically successful the last three years. Crystal has a dual Master’s degree in Clinical and School Psychology, and is a licensed Specialist in School Psychology. She has worked as a Specialist in School Psychology for Pearland ISD.
As a parent, Crystal is deeply invested in the future of our community. She believes that investing in our children is the best decision we can make, but we must be smart about it. We must budget responsibly to ensure every child has gets the resources needed to reach their full potential without putting undue burdens on our Pearland families.
Crystal is married to her high school sweetheart, Tony, and is currently a stay-at-home mom for their three young daughters (all under the age of five). She and her family are members of New Hope Church.
Over the Last 3 Years, Crystal Has Helped Pearland ISD Reach New
- Pearland ISD increased mastery level on STAAR exams on EVERY test and
for EVERY ethnicity.
- The district received A rating from Niche.com (again).
- The graduation rate is 99%.
- SAT scores are at all-time highs, approximately 125 points above state
- There were 14 Semifinalists in 2021 National Merit Program.
- Full time Pre-Kindergarten classes were initiated.
- Dropout rates were lower than they have been in over a decade.
Maximizing Financial Assets:
- In 2020-21, the district posted the LOWEST TAX RATE IN OVER 30
- The $220 million dollar bond projects, approved by voters in 2016, were
completed on schedule and under budget.
- The business office received accolades from GFOA’s Certificate of
Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting, ASBO’s Meritorious
Budget Award, TASBO Award of Merit for Purchasing Operations, Superior
rating from the Financial Integrity Rating System, and TxSmartSchools.
- Pearland ISD is lauded and received the highest rating for its financial
efficiency per student by providing high academic output for low cost per
student (Pearland ISD $9,358 per student; State Average $10,469 per
- The district received unblemished audit reports.
- New financial investment strategies were implemented to increase interest
earned and pay down debt at a faster rate.
Retaining World-Class Teaching Staff:
Crystal places high priority on retaining world-class teachers, and advocated
- competitive teacher raises – 4% in 2020/21 to increase teacher retention.
- additional funding for teachers to offset to the rising cost of insurance.
- implementing asynchronous days for additional planning/consulting time
during COVID for teachers.
- a 2020-21 mid-year bonus to teachers and substitute teachers, amid COVID.
- Multiple sports progressed to post-district competition.
- Two marching bands to state competition.
- Pearland HS Band was invited to the Rose Bowl.
- Choir reached sweepstakes.
- Theater programs progressed to advanced competition.
- Culinary teams reached state competition.
- The academic decathlon advanced to national competition.
- In partnership with YMCA - Youth and Government program – the first Texas
Youth Governor was elected from Pearland ISD.
Mental Health Initiatives:
As a member of the board focused on the mental wellness of students and
staff, Crystal Carbone has supported the:
- RISE mentoring program, which is emulated by districts across state and
serves over 500 students.
- placement of eight Mental Wellness counselors across secondary schools.
- institution of restorative practices and positive behavior intervention
- creation of a Culturally Responsive Council.
- establishment of a new position: Director of Safe and Secure Schools.
- delivery of trainings in trauma-informed care, mental health first aide and
various social-emotional learning tools.
- development and training of threat assessment teams.
- delivery of human trafficking prevention trainings offered to concerned
parents, district staff and secondary students.
- cultivation of continued relationships with community partners such as
Communities in Schools, Pearland Neighborhood Center, United Way,
Counseling Connections for Change, Unbound Houston, Lions Clubs,
Christian Helping Hands, and more.
Increasing Physical Safety Measures
As a pro-active board member, Crystal Carbone has advocated for the
installation and/or use of:
- security vestibules at every school.
- new door locks with visuals representing door status.
- badging systems for entry.
- bullet-resistant film.
- additional cameras and fencing.
- COVID safety measures, including rapid testing for symptomatic staff and